Linksys E- and EA-Series routers enable the devices on your home network to connect to each other and the Internet without the need for cables. Before setting up the wireless router, make sure you have an active Internet connection; log on to any website or search for something. Measure and note the distance from your modem and desktop computer to the location you have selected for your Linksys wireless router. How long the setup takes will depend on the speed of your Internet connection.
Unplug the power cord on your DSL or cable modem. Disconnect the telephone plug or cable connector running to your modem from your outside cable or telephone line.
Load the Cisco Connect DVD into your computer's DVD drive and open the setup program from Windows Explorer or Apple Desktop if AutoPlay is disabled. Otherwise, follow the first step that appears on your screen. Read the Terms and Conditions statement and check the box to agree to it, and click the “Next” button.
Connect the router's power cord to a power outlet and then plug one end of the blue CAT-5 Ethernet cable into the signal output socket of your modem and the other end into the yellow input socket on the back of the router. The program now validates your Internet connection and asks you to enter a router name, called an SSID, and a password. Do so and click “Next.”
Let the program continue to configure your router. If you are a DSL subscriber, you may be asked for your account name and password. If you do not know these, contact your DSL provider. Cable subscribers are not asked and may continue. Click “Next” when ready.
Complete the Linksys installation by clicking “OK” at the end of the program. Test your wireless connection by attempting to log on to the Internet with a Wi-Fi enabled laptop or other wireless device. Provide the password you created when setting up the Linksys router when prompted.
- Check to see if your router firmware is current by logging onto the router's Web admin panel -- generally 192.168.11 -- and opening the Maintenance or Update tab. Click on "Update Firmware."
- Select a location for your Linksys wireless router that is as high up and as close to the center of your home or office as possible and as far away as possible from microwave ovens, cordless phones and any other radio-frequency generating device.
- Before conducting a factory reset of your router, make a note of all the settings, logins and passwords. All this information is lost with a factory reset and will have to be re-entered later.
Items you will need
- Cisco Connect Setup CD
- 2 CAT-5 Ethernet cables with RJ45 connectors
- Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images